Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Chicken Fried Rice

When we were down at Aunt Lori's for Easter, she had some left over meat from the meal that she said she was going to use to make chicken fried rice, a dish her husband, Uncle Jeff, really enjoyed. I asked her for the recipe and she told me it came out of Better Homes and Gardens - The New Cookbook. Well, I decided I was going to make it sometime this week because Grandma had roasted a chicken and told me I could take what I wanted to make the dish.


There are about a thousand different versions of that book and in the version Grandma had, the recipe was on a completely different page than what Lori told me. If you're looking for it in your book, it might be under chicken casseroles because that's where we found it.


Chicken Fried Rice
(From Better Homes and Gardens - The New Cookbook)


Ingredients
1 cup diced cooked chicken
1 tablespoon soy sauce (I use low sodium)
1 cup uncooked long-grain rice (I use Jasmine rice)
1/3 cup salad oil
2 1/2 cups chicken broth (Again, I use low sodium)
1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
1/4 cup thinly sliced celery
2 slightly beaten eggs
1 cup freshly shredded lettuce or Chinese cabbage (I used lettuce)


Directions without Pictures
Combine chicken, soy sauce, and 1/2 teaspoon salt (I didn't add salt because I thought there was enough of that in the soy sauce). Let stand 15 minutes. Cook rice in hot oil in skillet over medium heat till golden brown; stir frequently. Reduce heat; add chicken with soy sauce and broth. Simmer, covered, 20 to 25 minutes or till rice is tender. Remove cover last few minutes. Stir in onion, green pepper, and celery. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat till liquid is absorbed. Push rice mixture to sides of skillet. Add eggs; cook till almost set; blend into rice. Stir in lettuce; serve at once with soy sauce. Serves 6.


Directions with Pictures
Combine chicken and soy sauce and let it stand for 15 minutes. I actually used 2 cups of chicken instead of the 1 that the recipe called for.

While I let that stand, I chopped up the onion, green pepper, and celery and shredded the lettuce. I have more veggies that what the recipe calls for because we like veggies and I was too lazy to actually measure everything out.


Then, I cooked the rice in the hot oil over medium heat in a skillet, stirring frequently, until it was golden brown.

I reduced the heat and added the chicken and soy sauce mixture, and the chicken broth. 

I put the cover on the skillet and let it simmer until the rice was tender, approximately 20 minutes.

Next, I added the chopped onion, green pepper, and celery...

...and mixed it all up and cooked it until all the liquid was absorbed.

I pushed the rice mixture to the side of the skillet...

...and added the slightly beaten eggs. I beat in an extra egg too because we also like eggs!

I mixed the eggs up a little...

...until they were just set...

...and then blended it in with the rice mixture.

Finally, I added the shredded lettuce.

And supper is SERVED!

Jordan and I enjoyed the meal and I would make it again since it was so fast and easy! I'm all about quick meals, if you can't tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.