Thursday, May 24, 2012

Ceviche Success

So, I'm sitting here contemplating whether or not I'm going to go outside and put our tomato plants in the ground by myself. Jordan has been working nearly 12 hour days at work and it has been rainy in the afternoons, so who knows when he'll get the chance to help me. Either way, I'm going to need coffee in my system before I start moving.


On Monday night, I got home from the grocery store and decided I was going to attempt to make ceviche. I've been craving it because Mommy told me she was going to make it for me when she came in for the wedding; unfortunately, she didn't have the time to do it with all the crazy stuff going on between the wedding and my surgery. I e-mailed her and asked her how to make it and this is literally the response I got back from her:



"I half thaw the fish and then cut it into squares.  Marinate it in vinegar for 2-3 hours and then drain the vinegar.  I chopped onions finely, cilantro, Jalapeno and tomatoes.  Then mix the cilantro, onions, jalapeno and tomatoes with the fish and squeeze some lemons. Salt and pepper. Sometimes I add the imitation crab meat.

Momma"


Story of my life... anytime I ask my mother how to make something she gives me vague directions with no measurements. I think that is a sign of a good cook and I am definitely not past measurements yet. So, I Googled some recipes and found one that had similar ingredients to reference for measurements. I used a recipe by Marcela Valladolid for her Tilapia Ceviche from the Food Network. I ended up having a hybrid of my mom's recipe and the one from the Food Network. Here's what I got:


Nicole Joyce's Ceviche


Ingredients:
2 pounds tilapia filets, diced (This is about 4 good cups. Also, it is easier to cut when it is still partially frozen.)
3/4 cup lemon juice, divided
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup seeded, chopped tomato
1/2 cup finely chopped onion (I used a sweet onion so it wasn't as strong)
1/2 of a jalapeno, finely diced
1/4 cup chopped, fresh cilantro leaves
1/4 cup Clamato juice
Salt and pepper to taste


Directions:
Put the diced tilapia in a medium sized bowl. Pour over a 1/2 cup lemon juice and 1/2 cup white vinegar. Mix gently to combine. Cover bowl and chill in refrigerator until the fish is white throughout, approximately 2-3 hours.


Remove from the refrigerator and drain off the lemon juice and vinegar, gently squeezing the fish with your hands. Add the tomato, onion, jalapeno, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Add 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1/4 cup Clamato and gently toss. 


Serve with tortilla chips or on a tostada.


My pretty ceviche!

I thoroughly enjoyed the ceviche, but Jordan didn't like it too much. I don't think he likes the consistency of the "raw" fish, which is why he doesn't like sushi. Surprisingly, Pap and Grandma liked it so I definitely think I'll be making this throughout the summer. 

1 comment:

Powered by Blogger.