Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Natural Beauties

Okay... this is so Asian Martha Stewart of me to dote about eggs, but look at these beauties! I was getting ingredients around to make some banana bread this morning and just felt compelled to snap a picture of my pretty eggs.



Here in Sugar Valley, there is a very high population of Amish that started to settle in the 1970s (I think?) from Lancaster county, PA. There are mixed feeling about the Amish community amongst us "English," or non-Amish, but I'll admit, it is really nice to get fresh, brown, free-range eggs for only $1.50 a dozen! I get my eggs from the Zook family who lives just a short drive/medium walk from our house. 

In the summer, I get most of my fresh produce like bell peppers, cucumber, and tomatoes from the local Amish as well. It is way cheaper than getting it from the grocery store, the quality is so much better, and they are much fresher since they haven't been shipped. 

Jordan gripes about how the Amish are hypocrites and are taking over all the old farms here in Sugar Valley, and that is marginally true. But, that's not going to stop me from enjoying the goods I can get from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.