Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Dollies & Doggies

Years ago, Jordan's mom kind of taught me how to crochet. She really only knew how to make one afghan that used the basic single crochet; but, either way, she's the one that got me started and my interest in crocheting took off from there. Then, a couple of years ago, Grandma's beautician and friend, Pat, taught me how to make a baby afghan using the "idiot stitch." It is a really basic pattern, but the blankets turn out beautifully because the way you work the stitch makes kind of a basket weave pattern.

While I was recovering from my accident, I decided I was going to try projects other than blankets. I started off with hats -- I think I made a hat for just about everyone I knew! Somehow it evolved to making dolls and stuffed animals. I got the idea from my friend, Stephanie, who made a doll for her daughter as a stocking stuffer. My first attempt was successful and I made my niece, Eve, a little dolly named Annie. 

Annie doll made using a Lily Sugar 'n Cream pattern.

Well, of course, Eve hated the doll and pawned it off on Pap. Being the tomboy she is, she told me she wanted a dog. So of course, I made her a little stuffed dog that she named Snowy (but then later re-named Parker after Aunt Lori's dog!). 


Found this free pattern on Ravelry, but I added the bandana myself using the idiot stitch.



Snowy/Parker was a success!

My friend, Ellen, has two nieces and she asked me to make the girls each a dolly for Easter. I decided to branch out a little and looked up patterns for different outfits for their dolls to make them fit each of the girls' personalities. I made a red-headed cowgirl for her niece, Piper, and a blonde school girl for the other one, Anna. 


Piper and Anna dolls using Lily Sugar 'n Cream patterns.


Major difference from the first Annie doll to the dolls I made for Ellen's nieces -- my skills have DEFINITELY improved because the faces don't look weird and crooked! I'm done with all the stuffed animal projects I've started and now I'm looking for a new crocheting project to master... Any ideas???

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.